Prime Minister’s Laptop Scheme Phase IV & V (2017)
This scheme was launched in 2013-14 with a target to procure and distribute 100,000 laptops amongst the students studying in Pakistan and AJ&K. HEC was given the responsibility to devise the mechanism of distribution of 100,000 laptops after procurement through open competitive bidding.
Prime Minister’s Laptops Scheme 2017:
Prime Minister’s Laptops Scheme is for Talented Students with the main objective of this scheme is an attempt to enhance the scope of research and quality education in the country and increase the access to information technology.
On the directives of the Prime Minister of Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Government of Pakistan has initiated a national program for distribution of laptops to young and bright students studying in public sector higher education institutes (HEIs) across the country and Azad Jammu & Kashmir. The scheme is part of the Prime Minister’s Youth Programs for FY2013-14. The Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan is the executing agency responsible for developing criteria, mechanism, modalities and a road map for procurement and distribution of laptops under this scheme.
Eligibility Criteria (Phase-IV&V)-Ongoing
The applicant must have a valid CNIC/ B-Form number.
Must be valid student as of closing date for application submission that is 30thSeptember 2017.
Students enrolled till June 30, 2017 but not earlier than their respective program duration as per the table below:
Only Students enrolled in colleges located in FATA and Islamabad Capital Territory Region
- Students studying in public sector Universities/ Degree Awarding Institutes duly recognized by HEC.
- Students enrolled in PhD/ MS/ MPhil or equivalent 18 year program
- Students enrolled in 1 or 2-year Masters degree program (morning and evening)
- Student enrolled in 4-year or 5-year Bachelor degree program (morning and evening)
- Students studying as distant learner in Virtual University of Pakistan or Allama Iqbal Open University.
- Students studying in government degree or postgraduate colleges of Federal Capital and Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
- Students of degree colleges of other provinces may be covered from respective provincial arrangements (if any)
- Students’ eligibility and enrolment status as defined above shall be determined on the day of distribution of laptops at the HEI.
- Criteria for Students enrolled in distance learning program at VU and AIOU, and students of polytechnic institutes of Pakistan and AJK shall be defined in coordination with respective universities/ boards and will be updated accordingly.
- No laptop shall be issued to those who have availed in the past from such initiative(s) taken by the government or by the higher education institute.
Following students will NOT be eligible for laptops under this scheme:
- Students of any private sector higher education institutes
- Students of any government degree & postgraduate colleges except of Federal Capital and FATA
- Students who have received a laptop under any Federal or Provincial Government scheme
- Foreign nationals, except students from AJK and Indian Occupied Kashmir
- Any other students not listed above and/ or as identified and decided by the Steering Committee.
Laptops Distribution Criteria for students studying in ICT and GCT Colleges:
- The laptops under the Prime Minister’s Laptop Scheme will be awarded on merit to talented students enrolled in Colleges operating under Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT) and Government Technical Colleges / Government Vocational Colleges across Pakistan and AJ&K.
- The latest academic performance in examination conducted by relevant board, will be considered for merit list generation.
- Students enrolled in intermediate or degree programs in any of the degree or post-graduate college of ICT; and in case of GCTs, students enrolled in two year or three year DAE programswill be considered.
- The total quota is 20,000 laptops i.e. 5,000 per year for four years of the scheme (i.e. 2014-15 through 2017-18)
- The total number of laptops will be divided to all colleges of ICT and among all GCTs on the basis of number of applicants who apply under Prime Minister’s Laptops Scheme, instead of enrollment.
Similar to the past year, the scheme is conceived as a comprehensive ecosystem around the laptop instead of distributing “black boxes” to students. Ecosystem as envisaged around the laptop hardware for this project, consists of various components ranging from licensed/ genuine Windows 10 Operating System; Microsoft Office365 application software; Training opportunity at Microsoft IT Academy at respective university/ institutes; Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification voucher, 3G EVO Device; Access to HEC’s National Digital Library using 3G/ 4G EVO Device and have oppertunity to take online cources from world renowned universities on subsidized rates through https://pakcoursera.org. These aspects will not only bring value to money but will create synergy with relevant industries, as well as help HEIs to provide state-of-the-art technologically enabled academic environment at par with HEIs in the developed world.
Laptops Distribution Criteria for students of FATA Degree Colleges
- The laptops under Prime Minister’s Laptop Scheme will be awarded on merit to talented students enrolled in Government degree and post graduate colleges located in FATA and FR Regions.
- The latest academic performance in examination conducted by relevant board/ university will be considered for merit list generation
- The laptops will be awarded to Intermediate, Bachelor and Postgraduate level students enrolled as of last date of applicaiton submission i.e. September 30, 2017.
- The total quota for Phase IV & V is 5,000 laptops
- The total number of laptops will be divided equally among all FATA (7 Agencies)/ FR Regions (6 Regions) on the basis of constituency.
- No laptop will be issued to those who have availed this opportunity in any Government of Pakistan funded laptops schemes.
PM Laptop Scheme Phase IV & V Online Registration Method
Students are advised to Apply Online by Registering or Updating Profile at the following link of Students’ Service Portal.
Important notice for laptop applicants:
Students who are encountering issue in receiving SMS while applying under Prime Minister’s Laptop Scheme Phase-III are advised to register their complaints along with cell phone number on firstname.lastname@example.org